Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here is some information that you might find useful. If you have any other questions, just get in touch, and I'd be happy to happy to share my knowledge.


When should I choose my celebrant?

Once you have decided on a date and a venue you should find a Celebrant. You will need to know if the celebrant you like is free on your specific date and there are documents to be completed. I will  will ask for a non-refundable deposit to secure the day for you.

How should I chose my celebrant?

Look for the sort of person who has the qualities that attract you in friendship because this is probably the Celebrant who will give you the ceremony that will leave you with happy memories. The price will not answer this question for you.

Do you have to be an Australian citizen to marry in Australia?

No. Anyone can marry in Australia providing they are both over the age of 18 and not legally married. If one or both of you is between 16 and 18,you are required to obtain your parent's consent on the required form and a court order under Section 12 of the Marriage Act.

Is a Wedding Rehearsal necessary?

It is in your interest to have a rehearsal. Not only is it an opportunity to iron out any queries, it is often an opportunity for the wedding party to relax together in fun before the big event. It need not necessarily be at the venue. From the Celebrant's point of view it is a good time to complete another document that needs to be signed close to and before the wedding.

How much notice needs to be given before marrying?

At least 1 month and 1 day. (In exceptional circumstances the Registrar may approve a shortening of time for the 'Notice' Form).

Can we get married anywhere in Australia?

Yes. An Authorised Civil Marriage Celebrant is permitted to perform a wedding ceremony anywhere in Australia that includes some of our beautiful remote islands, rainforests, aeroplanes, boats, hot air balloons etc. Please be aware that if I have to travel interstate you will probably have to pay for my travel costs. We can work out a reasonable price together.

Can we re-marry in Australia after being married in another country?

No. The only type of ceremony you would be able to have would be either a Renewal of Vows Ceremony or a Commitment Ceremony.

Can two people of the same sex marry?

No. Same sex marriages are not performed in Australia at this time. I am hoping the legislation will change soon. However, you can have a Commitment Ceremony to express your feelings for one another. It's the same as a Wedding minus the paperwork and a few bits of legal wording.

What will I wear?

I will dress to fit in with your theme whether it is formal or casual or something in between. I chose colours that will compliment your colour scheme, taking care not to wear the same colour as your bridesmaids.